The little connected camera with a lot to share.
Last year, we had a number of unfortunate accidents recorded on cam (Ferrari ramming into a taxi) and the more recent motorcyclist onto a woman crossing the streets.
We see tremendous benefits of having a cam in your car or on your bike so that you can capture that moment and leave the arguing behind. We have been trying to find a sensible, practical and versatile handsfree cam that could be an active person’s (not extreme) best friend!
We did a checklist of what we wanted in this cam:
- Long battery life
- Easily mounted on bikes, in the car, helmets, home
- Works handsfree
- Transmits wirelessly via wifi or Bluetooth
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Large built in memory
- Intelligent and easy to use
- Automatic sharing to Facebook, iCloud, Twitter, YouTube, or email
- High resolution at least 480P( 1080P better)
- **Built in image stabiliser
- **Helps you cycle, swim or run faster ( Just kidding)
We have studied GoPro, Contour etc strong features but costly to own or too clunky. All have their merits. Well look no further, Looxcie is here at least the LX2 satisfies almost all of the above except the last 2 desirable features**.
The LX2 is an interesting hybrid video camera/Bluetooth device. This video camera is sleek and small, so it can go with you anywhere and stream real-time video. It also shares highlights via social media, so the people you’re closest to feel like they’re right there with you. From unexpected moments to exhilarating adventures, Looxcie makes sharing your life EASY! The camera is small. The possibilities are huge. Don’t let the diminutive size fool you. The Looxcie has big, powerful features. It streams live. Goes back in time to capture moments. And instantly shares them. Since it fits anywhere, you can take it everywhere.
Looxcie fits on your helmet, hat and even your ear, unobtrusively recording what you see. It’s so lightweight you’ll forget it’s there. Best of all, you don’t have to limit your enjoyment by seeing life through a viewfinder. Capture the action, experience the moment.
Selling at S$200 at participating channels, the LX2 is about 22g. Not as light as your Plantronics or Jabra bluetooth ONLY handsfree but the quality of the handsfree earpiece is good so you can use it while driving or walking and answer your phone calls if you are looping it over your ear. One noticeable area is the effort made by the manufacturers into making available a very wide range of mounting accessories that offers you ease of use in almost every situation. This blog entry focuses on this.
So let’s start with the LX2 cam recorder. Max resolution is 480p and you can select 320P so that you inbuilt memory can record more. We will range the larger HD version but the price and weight puts that option for the enthusiasts.
It offers users a few ear hole insert options to suit different ear hole sizes and a ear loop. But I think most of us already have our favourite Bluetooth earpiece so the Ball Cap clip S$30 and Ventilated cap strapS$30 or Helmet strap S$38 is what we will deploy for that ability to capture moment while on a bike. I found using the Ball Cap clip extremely useful, I clipped my LX2 onto my sunglass and I now have my own headsup cam , viewing what I see at my eye level.
The Looxcie Apps that can be downloaded for Android and iOS is fast to install but you will need very good 3G or LTE connectivity to stream Live via their Live app. The Looxcie app however allows you to broadcast public or only to invited friends and you can “Capture to Buffer” which means you capture your vid and the upload will start once your connectivity is stable. Or simply select Record and the Singapore version that has an inbuilt 4Gb memory will record 90 minutes of video capture. Typically enough for travel within Singapore in the car or a cycle and when that 90 minutes is finished, it just loops over. You can use it independently or with your bluetooth enabled smartphone.
The Bluetooth connectivity just makes things simple! No messy rewiring and best of all, you have your smartphone that controls the device and if you happen to have a car charger, the micro USB charge will work on the LX2. You have 2 options - Sun Visor clip or Windscreen Suction holder. S$45 each
Pair your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and your Looxcie becomes your car cam with NO messy cabling or wires
For those who multi mode transport ie car, bike and BT earpiece, the carrying case S$25 is a must. It will protect your LX2 and at the same time be a holder for the ear loops when not in use. Of course they have tripod and we are working with Looxcie to have a specific clip to mount under the saddle to allow the LX2 to become your EYES at the back while you are cycling. So it TRULY becomes a Rear view display*. And yes, its a blue tooth handsfree earpiece if you want a 2-1 device. A simple pairing and off you go. Pairing it with a Samsung S3 was fast and simple and depending on which device is your preferred earpiece you can use it.
What do we dislike about this?
1. No image stabiliser so the vid capture can be shaky
2. Higher resolution but retain the footprint. The HD version is no longer as small as the LX2
3. LooxcieLive could be faster as the latency to the web host is long and times out when we have poor 3G/4G coverage
4. Portrait or landscape setting choice on the Video capture Android/iOS Apps.
WANT one now? Call My Bike Shop Outlets for cyclists. Anyone want to be a dealer? Email us with your full particulars, we are looking for sole dealers for specific segments so am sure the Motorcyclists, frequent travellers, Security personnel, Site surveyors, car owners..have a look see and GET a Looxcie today. We have the Looxcie HD selling at S$399.00 for a limited period of time. Just reserve your unit with My Bike Shop outlets.
- With LooxcieCam App (or as a standalone device)
- 480p (VGA), 30fps, 4000 kbps bitrate
- 1 hr. record time (4Gb storage capacity)
- With LooxcieMoments App (mobile-sharing quality)
- 320p (HVGA), 15 fps, 800 kbps bitrate
- Based on storage capacity
- 5 hrs. continuous looping video capture
- 5 hrs. clip storage from captured video
- With LooxcieMoments App (high quality)
- 480p (VGA), 30 fps, 3000 kbps bitrate
- Based on storage capacity
- 1.5 hrs. continuous looping video capture
- 1.5 hrs. clip storage from captured video
- f 2.8 lens
- Depth of Focus: 2″ to infinity
- Diagonal Field of View (FOV): 62.1 degrees
- Auto high color and light correction
- Codec: MPEG-4 video, AAC audio
- Battery life: 4 hours in 320p, 2 hrs. in 480p
- Fast-charging 365mAh lithium polymer battery
- Bluetooth Class 2
- Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR
- Hands Free Profile (HFP 1.5)
- Dual silicon MEMS microphones
- DSP-based noise cancellation
- 6+ hours talk time
- Range to 33 feet
Looxcie has vidoes at http://www.looxcie.com/videos/ , Youtube
*Working with BST Mobile in Singapore, we want to create apps that go beyond recording so watch this space from route mapping to bike locater etc